Delicious smoky mushrooms and tender jackfruit are a match made in heaven in these flavorful tacos served with a hearty garnish of fresh cilantro and zesty guacamole.
Vegan Mushroom and Jackfruit Tacos
- 1 can of young jackfruit in brine, not syrup, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallots sliced or chopped
- 2 green onions chopped (optional)
- 1 red chili pepper or jalapeño thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup optional
- 1/2 lime the juice
- To serve:
- 4 soft shell corn tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
- Guacamole and/or salsa
- Pour the contents of the young jackfruit can into a strainer, rinse and pat dry using a kitchen towel. Pull the pieces apart and remove any hard cores (you’ll want it to look similar to pulled pork).
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms in a large non-stick pan with the olive oil over medium to high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, shallots, green onions, garlic, chili pepper and seasonings (except the maple syrup and lime juice) to the pan and mix well.
- Cook for 10-12 more minutes and add the remaining ingredients to the pan. Mix again, taste test and add more salt and/or liquid smoke if need be.
- Serve with the taco shells, cilantro and dip of your choice. Enjoy!
- Liquid smoke can be found in the condiment aisle at most supermarkets. Some are more concentrated than others, so start with 1 tsp and then add more if desired.
- You can replace the jackfruit with either more mushrooms, lentils, seitan or chickpeas (for extra protein).
Disclaimer: Please note that this site contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through those links at no extra cost to you.