This almond tempeh bowl includes 50 grams of plant protein per serving, making it an excellent filling and nourishing lunch. Here’s how to make it.
What you’ll need
(makes 1 serving)
- 7 ounces/200 grams tempeh
- 3 tablespoons sliced/flaked almonds
- 2 teaspoons avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 7 ounces/200 grams baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegan kimchi (to serve)
How to make this High Protein Maple Mustard Almond Tempeh Bowl
Step one: prep and cook the tempeh
- Cut or slice the tempeh into bite size pieces, then heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium to high heat.
- Once the pan is hot (after about 1-2 minutes), add the tempeh and cook it for 3 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Add the almonds and spices, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the tempeh to a bowl, but don’t turn off the heat yet.
Step two: cook the spinach
- To the hot skillet, add the spinach with a splash of water and cook until wilted (this will only take about 60-90 seconds) and add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the spinach to the bowl with the tempeh.
Step three: make the maple mustard
- Mix the mustard and maple syrup using a whisk or a fork and set aside.
Step four: serve and enjoy!
- Add the vegan kimchi to the bowl and serve everything with the maple mustard. Enjoy!
- Instead of tempeh, you can also use: Seitan, smoked tofu, or pre-cooked chickpeas.
- To turn this into two portions, either double the ingredients, or add 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked grains like quinoa or rice.